David de Haan, Dutch visual artist
David de Haan
Van Oudshoornhove 28
+31 (0) 6 5316 3602
- KvK / Chamber of Commerce: 84898341
- BTW / VAT: NL004039502B58
- Terms and conditions
I am interested in the paradox in human behaviour while trying to find happiness. By setting ambitious goals people spark energy and passion while at the same time heading for imminent failure and frustration.
In my photography I look for subjects that can serve as a metaphor for this human struggle. By showing these subjects in highly detailed typology-like series I want them to start telling this story. To go beyond the visible by showing nothing more than the visible.
Although I believe there is no such thing as objective photography I certainly strive for it. Photography for me is about showing reality in an objective and neutral way. Letting the viewer decide where to look and what to see. By taking a picture I’m forcing people to look closer. Every subject can be made into an interesting picture. The mere fact that a photograph is taken makes the subject interesting and asks for a closer inspection. By looking closely I believe every space and every landscape can tell a story. The viewer should be the one looking for this story and constructing one for himself.
- Highway retreats (revised edition, with added commentary), self published, 2022 (copies available)
- The views from all public benches in a 500 metres radius around my home, A2-size poster, self published, 2022 (copies available)
- Morning routine, small leporello print of seven benches with text on inlay (edition of 100, numbered), 2022 (copies available)
- Paradox of dreams, self published, 2018 (copies available)
- Hedwigepolder, self published, 2017 (still a few copies available)
- Featured in New Dutch Photo Talent 2018, GUP, 2017
- Langs de snelweg (Highway retreats), self published, 2016 (sold out)
- This Art Fair, De Kromhouthal, Amsterdam, 2022
- Head On Photo Festival, Sydney, 2022
- Let’s meet, group exhibition @ KV02, The Hague, 2022
- Photoville @ DUMBO Brooklyn, New York City, 2021
- International Photo Festival Leiden @ Singelpark, Leiden,
- LUCID, graduation exhibition Photo Academy @ Loods 6 , Amsterdam, 2018
- New Dutch Photo Talent 2018, group exhibition @ 5&33, Amsterdam, 2017/2018
- Het oog, group exhibition @ Photo Academy, Amsterdam, 2017
- Photo Academy, Amsterdam, 2015 – 2018
Graduated with my installation ‘Paradox of dreams‘.